We are hiring 3 part-time Farm and School Garden Educator positions. This is a unique opportunity to be involved in Farm to School education programs at a working organic farm and in school gardens and cafeterias.
Farm and School Garden Educators will be responsible for facilitating educational programs at Holly Hill Farm during the school year as well as at schools located within a 20-minute drive from the farm for onsite school garden education programs. Time commitment varies by the week but this position generally requires 25-30 hours per week from September through June. Additional farm education opportunities are available for teaching at our summer camp from mid-June through the third week of August.
The Friends of Holly Hill Farm is the nonprofit educational organization that manages Holly Hill Farm, a certified organic vegetable, flower and herb farm in Cohasset, MA. The farm serves as the outdoor classroom for thousands of children, adults and families who visit every year for school field trips, educational workshops, community events, farm to table dinners, field trips with scout, church, or other community groups and much more. The Friends’mission is to educate visitors of all ages about the value of sustainable and regenerative farming principles that result in healthy food and responsible stewardship that protects the land. An outgrowth of the mission to educate on the farm is a network of partnerships with 30 local schools where the Friends provide hands-on education programs in school garden settings for students.
Farm Education – School Field Trip Tour duties:
Lead tours of 6 learning stations at Holly Hill Farm and creatively share information about sustainable and regenerative farming at each station. Field trips are hands-on and curriculum-connected so field trip leaders are expected to help students relate the activities they are doing at the farm to their classroom science, math, or social studies lessons. Tours typically last from 2 to 3 hours, depending on the age of children. The field trip requires a bit of walking and ability to engage a group of 10-15 children. Occasional lifting of heavy objects will be required.
School Garden duties:
Lead education programs outside in a school garden. Help students make the connection to their classroom lessons out in the garden with plants, insects, soil, and more with a series of curriculum resources that are provided. Similar seasonal time commitment to Farm Educator position.
Assist the Education Director with record keeping, communication with school teachers to arrange field trips, and other administrative duties as the need arises. Strong organizational skills, familiarity with shared Google Calendar, Google Docs and Microsoft Office Suite is preferred.
· Lead field trip programs on the farm for students ages pre-K through high school
· Travel to school gardens off site to facilitate classroom school garden lessons
· Interact with program participants in an enthusiastic and friendly manner
· Assist with record keeping and data collection
· Special projects and other duties as assigned
· BA / BS in Education, Science, Environmental Science or a related discipline or a combination of relevant work experience and education
· Prior experience and knowledge of gardening and sustainable farming practices preferred or willingness to learn more
· Experience in outdoor education setting with children ages 5-18
· Willingness to enthusiastically share knowledge about sustainable farming & gardening
· Positive “can do” attitude
· Ability to be flexible and function in a fast-paced work environment, working with a team of educators as well as teach and lead classes independently
· Strong skills oral and written communication skills, organizational skills
· Familiarity with Microsoft Word Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point) as well as Google Docs
· Must have reliable transportation and ability to carry materials to schools (plants, buckets, tools, etc.)
· Must pass a criminal background check
· Opportunity to develop skills and experience teaching and facilitation outdoor education programs
· Mileage reimbursement for travel to off-site school education programs
· Training and ongoing support provided to learn about the history and ecology of Holly Hill Farm that has been farmed in many ways since the 1600s
· Possible opportunity to extend the season by teaching at our summer camp from mid-June through mid-August
· Work with a fun, dedicated team of staff and volunteers in a lively collaborative environment
· Spend time in a beautiful setting
· Occasional farm fresh produce to take home and wonderful farm staff lunches & dinners
Compensation: Starts at $16/hour, more commensurate with experience.
Holly Hill Farm is looking for a farm manager or farm couple.
Unique opportunity to manage an established farm with a loyal community of supportive farm customers in the beautiful seaside town of Cohasset, MA, just 25 miles south of Boston.
The property consists of 140 acres (2 acres farmed), several greenhouses, historic farm buildings, extensive walking trails through woodlands and salt marsh meadows, all located within ½ mile of the Atlantic Ocean.
We are far more than a production farm! We are a certified organic, non-profit farm that grows vegetables, herbs, flowers and seedlings. We were founded with an educational mission, and our programming includes camping experiences, on-site field trips and community service opportunities for teenagers who grow produce for local food banks.
-No-Till, Regenerative Methods
-2 acres in production with 2 high tunnels and 2 heated propagation houses
-Year round farming, farmer’s markets and farm store
-Wholesale to local restaurants
-In addition to farm staff, there is both adult and student volunteer support throughout the year
Salary commensurate with experience
Housing in antique farmhouse on one of New England’s most famously beautiful roads (please note, the first floor of farm house is shared space with farm staff)
Wifi, laundry, beach sticker, and farm produce included.
This farm has seen many successful and innovative changes in the last few years. It is waiting for you to take it to the next level.
If this is your dream job opportunity, email Jasmin.Callahan@gmail.com for a detailed job description.
1. General maintenance: woodworking, window repair, painting, plumbing & electrical systems
2. Small engine repair
3. Maintain cleanliness of outdoor spaces including snow removal, sanding, mowing
4. Maintain cleanliness of office & common space in barns and farmhouse
5. Trash recycling and removal to the local transfer station
1. Outstanding problem solving abilities and attention to detail
2. Strong technical knowledge & experience with plumbing and electrical systems
3. Physically strong and motivated to complete tasks in a timely manner
4. Independent worker who also works well with others
1. High school diploma or equivalent
2. Valid MA driver’s License with clean driving record
3. Minimum of 2 years working experience in a similar role
4. Ability to work with tools, power equipment and a chain saw
5. Extremely organized with good communication skills
6. Pass a CORI and SORI check
7. Able to lift 50 pounds
Customers have questions, you have answers. Display the most frequently asked questions, so everybody benefits.